BenefitU logo - color.

Video: Job Loss and Title II

Quick Navigation



This short video offers useful information about job loss for people who receive Title II benefits.

Susan Harrell (00:04):
For this session, we will be discussing Title II benefits frequently asked questions focused on job loss or reduction, and SSDI and SSCDB.

Susan Harrell (00:20):
“Should I report a change in earnings to Social Security?”

Scott Leonard (00:24):
Yes. To report this change, call +1 800-772-1213. Or you can create a, my Social Security account and report the change. Go to

Susan Harrell (00:48):
“When do I report a change in employment to Social Security?”

Scott Leonard (00:53):
Report the change no later than the 10th day of the next month. For example, if you stopped working in March, you should report this change no later than the 10th of April.

Susan Harrell (01:05):
“Will sick time affect my Title II benefit check?”

Scott Leonard (01:09):
No. Sick pay vacation pay, and non-work holiday pay are not considered work performed and do not affect your cash benefit.

Susan Harrell (01:20):
“Can I receive unemployment benefits while receiving Title II benefits?”

Scott Leonard (01:25):
If you qualify for unemployment benefits, the benefits will not impact your SSDI or SSCDB cash benefits. However, it’s important to know that, for some people, the combination of unemployment benefits and Title II benefits can result in a loss of eligibility for Apple Health or Medicaid.

Susan Harrell  (01:47):
“Can you explain more about how it might affect my Apple Health or Medicaid?”

Scott Leonard (01:54):
There are different ways to be eligible for Apple Health or Medicaid. If you’ve received notice that you have become ineligible for Apple Health or long-term care services, you may qualify through a different eligibility pathway. To apply for Apple Health, submit an application online at, or you can call +1 877-501-2233. A loss of Apple Health or Medicaid may trigger the state to begin a redetermination. This is a process to determine if there was another way you can qualify for Apple Health. During their redetermination, you may receive additional information on how to apply for Apple Health. If you are a DDA eligible and have questions, you can contact a DDA financial team member at +1 855-873-0642.

Susan Harrell (02:59):
“If I lose Apple Health, what happens to my DDA waiver?”

Scott Leonard (03:06):
The DDA waiver is an Apple Health- or Medicaid-funded program. A loss in Apple Health could result in the loss of the waiver. However, as noted before, there are a number of different ways. You may be able to remain eligible for Apple Health.

Susan Harrell (03:26):
“I stopped working will my Medicare eligibility be affected?”

Scott Leonard (03:32):
A reduction in wages or termination in employment will not impact Medicare eligibility.

Susan Harrell (03:41):
“If I lose my job or have a reduction in earnings, can I qualify for Title II benefits again?”

Scott Leonard (03:49):
Possibly. If you are not receiving a benefit check, report your work change to Social Security. Social Security may be able to reinstate your cash benefit. If your Title II benefits terminated less than five years ago, you can request benefits to be reinstated to an Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits.

Susan Harrell (04:12):
“Can you tell me more about this Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits?”

Scott Leonard (04:17):
Yes. An Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits is a work incentive that may allow you to reestablish your Title II benefits quicker than a new application. To request an Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits, call +1 800-772-1213.

Susan Harrell (04:41):
“I’ve heard about something called Provisional Benefits. Can you explain what that is?”

Scott Leonard (04:47):
Sure. While Social Security reviews your expedited reinstatement of benefits request, you may receive Provisional Benefits for up to six months. These benefits can include cash payments and Medicare coverage. If your request is denied, you typically will not have to pay your Provisional Benefits back to Social Security.

Susan Harrell (05:11):
“How do I file a new application for Title II benefits?”

Scott Leonard (05:17):
To apply for Title II benefits, call +1 800-772-1213, or you can submit an application online. Go to

Susan Harrell (05:29):
“Well workers’ compensation affect my Title II benefits?”

Scott Leonard (05:44):
If you receive workers’ compensation, you must report it to Social Security. A workers’ compensation benefit will not affect your eligibility for Title II benefits. Depending on your situation, the amount of one benefit check may offset some or all of the amount of the other benefit check.

Scroll to Top