BenefitU logo - color.

What do I report to Social Security?

When life changes happen, you must let Social Security know.

Note: If Social Security requires you to have a representative payee, it is the payee’s responsibility to report the change.

A couple looking over their taxes.

How much time do I have to report a change?

You must report changes by the 10th day of the next month. For example, if you move to a new home in May, you must report the address change to Social Security by the 10th day of June. 

If you have wages, we recommend you report your gross wages received by the 6th day of the next month.

A person filling out a form.

Here are examples of changes you must report to Social Security:

How do I report a change?

You have a few options for reporting changes:

  • You can call 1-800-772-1213 and schedule an appointment at your local office. This might be quicker than walking into an office without an appointment and waiting. 
  • When bringing and handing over documents to Social Security, ask them to make a copy and stamp them as received. You can keep these for your records. 
  • When possible, give Social Security copies of documents, not originals. 
  • After talking with a Social Security representative, write down the person’s name, the date and time you talked, and what was discussed.
  • Be sure to report the gross income – income before taxes and other deductions – you receive each month.
  • If you have a work incentive which includes receipts, such as an Impairment Related Work Expense, you will need to submit copies of those records by mail, fax, or at your local office. It is recommended you submit work incentive records by the 6th day of the following month. 
  • Always report when you start a new job or when a job ends.
  • If you report by mail, fax, or in person, here are templates you can use:

Social Security sent me a letter...

A person opening a letter in the mail.

Social Security will send you many letters. Some letters provide basic information and updates, such as letting you know about a change in your SSI amount. Other letters will ask you to provide information by a certain date or within a certain number of days. You should try to read every letter when you receive it so that you are aware of updates and when Social Security is asking for information.

Time to respond

The time limit by when Social Security wants information is important: if you miss a deadline, your SSI can be suspended. For this reason, you should try to read every letter when you receive it. If you are not able to respond by their deadline, you can contact Social Security and ask for an extension.

Types of notices and requests

Social Security is required by law to occasionally check to see if you are still eligible for SSI or if you might be eligible for another type of benefit. They must also let you know of your right to appeal if you disagree with a decision. Social Security may ask you to provide information about your income, resources, living situation, and disability to make their decision.

Learn more about the different types of notices and requests...

Social Security uses different eligibility rules for children and adults. When you turn age 18, you are considered an adult. Social Security will do an Age 18 Redetermination within one year after your 18th birthday to see if you meet the adult rules. 

The Age 18 Redetermination is like a new SSI application. We recommend you prepare for this redetermination before you turn 18.

Social Security will review your medical condition every three to seven years to make sure you continue to have a disability. During this review, they will also check your income, resources, and living situation to see if you still meet the SSI program rules.

During a redetermination, Social Security will review your income, resources, and living situation to make sure you still meet the SSI program rules. If you are under age 18, Social Security will review your parents’ information. 

This review may happen by mail, phone, or in person at your local office. A list of what documentation to bring and other details can be found here

A Redetermination may happen every one to 6 years.

It is common for SSI recipients to one day receive a Title II cash benefit. This may happen because: 

  • You have worked and earned enough “work credits” to be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).  
  • You have a disability which began prior to age 22, and your parent has died, retired, or is disabled. This benefit is named Childhood Disability Beneficiary (SSCDB).  

Social Security will ask you to apply for Title II benefits if they think you may be eligible.   

Title II benefits are different than SSI. For more information about Title II benefits, visit What are Title II benefits?

If Social Security believes you were overpaid or you are no longer eligible for a benefit, they will send you a letter about the matter and let you know your options to appeal. 

You may have different appeal options, each with its own rules and time limit on when must respond.

For an overview of the appeal process, please visit our resource on Overpayments and Appeals

Scroll to Top