BenefitU logo - color.

Video: Job Loss Training

Quick Navigation



This short video offers useful information about job loss for people who receive SSI.

Susan Harrell (00:03):
In this session, we will be talking about SSI frequently asked questions focused on job loss or a reduction in earnings.

Susan Harrell (00:15):
“I stopped working, how do I report this to Social Security?”

Scott Leonard (00:21):
You can call +1 800-772-1213, or you can create a “my Social Security account” and report the change. Go to

Susan Harrell (00:43):
“When do I report a change in employment to Social Security?”

Scott Leonard (00:49):
Report a change no later than the 10th day of the next month. For example, if you stopped working in March, you should report this change no later than the 10th of April.

Susan Harrell (01:02):
“I stopped working and have no earnings. What will happen to my SSI?”

Scott Leonard (01:08):
Your SSI may increase up to a maximum of $783 per month. That’s the maximum for 2020. If you have other types of income, your SSI amount may be less.

Susan Harrell (01:24):
“When will I see an increase in my SSI amount?”

Scott Leonard (01:29):
Social security is about two months behind in calculating your SSI. For example, if your wages change in March, you may see your SSI amount adjusted in May.

Susan Harrell (01:45):
“Do sick pay or vacation pay affect my SSI?”

Scott Leonard (01:50):
Yes, sick pay and vacation pay are considered income and must be reported to Social Security.

Susan Harrell (01:59):
“I lost my job. Can I apply for unemployment benefits?”

Scott Leonard (02:04):
Yes. Social security requires SSI recipients to apply for any benefits they may be eligible for. This includes unemployment benefits.

Susan Harrell (02:17):
“How will unemployment benefits affect my SSI?”

Scott Leonard (02:22):
You must report an unemployment benefit check to Social Security. An unemployment benefit is considered unearned income. It affects your SSI differently than earnings. If the unemployment benefit you receive in a month is larger than your full SSI benefit by $20 or more, you will become ineligible for SSI for that month.

Susan Harrell (02:49):
“If I lose SSI, what happens to my Apple Health or Medicaid?”

Scott Leonard (02:55):
SSI eligibility is only one of a few different ways to qualify for Apple Health or Medicaid. If you become ineligible for SSI, you can apply for Apple Health through a different eligibility pathway. To apply, submit an application online, go to, or you can call +1 877-501-2233.

Scott Leonard (03:33):
A loss of Apple Health or Medicaid may trigger the state to begin a Redetermination. This is a process to determine if there was another way you can qualify for Apple Health. During the Redetermination, you may receive additional information on how to apply for Apple Health. If you are DDA eligible and have questions, you can contact a DDA financial team member at +1 855-873-0642.

Susan Harrell (04:09):
“If I lose Apple Health or Medicaid, what happens to my DDA waiver?”

Scott Leonard (04:15):
The DDA waiver is an Apple Health or Medicaid funded program. A loss in Apple Health could result in the loss of the waiver. As noted before there are a number of different ways you may be able to remain eligible for Apple Health.

Susan Harrell (04:34):
“When my unemployment ends, can I get back on SSI?”

Scott Leonard (04:39):
Yes. If you meet all the SSI requirements. If you have been in eligible for SSI for 12 months or less, you do not need to submit a new application. Contact Social Security, report that you were no longer receiving unemployment benefits, and ask to have your SSI reinstated. If you have been ineligible for SSI for more than 12 months, you may need to submit a new application for SSI.

Susan Harrell (05:10):
“Will worker’s compensation affect my SSI?”

Scott Leonard (05:15):
If you received workers’ compensation, it must be reported to Social Security. A workers’ compensation payment minus legal, medical, and other expenses is considered unearned income. If the unearned income you received in a month is larger than your full SSI benefit by $20 or more, you will become ineligible for SSI for that month.

Susan Harrell (05:41):
“If I lose SSI, can I qualify for it again?”

Scott Leonard (05:46):
Possibly. If your SSI benefits terminated less than five years ago, you can request the benefits to be reinstated through an Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits. Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits is a work incentive that may allow you to reestablish your SSI benefits quicker than a new application to request an Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits call +1 800-772-1213.

Susan Harrell (06:20):
“I’ve heard about something called provisional benefits with Expedited Reinstatement. Can you tell me what that is?”

Scott Leonard (06:27):
Yes. While Social Security reviews your Expedited Reinstatement of Benefits request, you may see Provisional Benefits for up to six months. These benefits can include cash payments and Medicaid coverage. If your request is denied, you typically will not have to pay your Provisional Benefits back to Social Security.

Susan Harrell (06:50):
“How do I file a new application for SSI benefits?”

Scott Leonard (06:55):
To apply for SSI benefits? Call +1 800-772-1213 or you can submit an application online for more information, visit Please check out these resources.

Scroll to Top